domingo, abril 19, 2009

I wouldn't be so sure

Li o primeiro poema no Origem das Espécies mas continuo intrigado pelo título. Só posso percebê-lo pela ironia, ainda mais depois da leitura do segundo poema.

MEN IMPROVE WITH THE YEARS
I am worn out with dreams;
A weather-worn, marble triton
Among the streams;
And all day long I look
Upon this lady's beauty
As though I had found in a book
A pictured beauty,
Pleased to have filled the eyes
Or the discerning ears,
Delighted to be but wise,
For men improve with the years;
And yet, and yet,
Is this my dream, or the truth?
O would that we had met
When I had my burning youth!
But I grow old among dreams,
A weather-worn, marble triton
Among the streams.

W.B. Yeats, The Wild Swans at Coole (1919)

THE FOUR AGES OF MAN

He with body waged a fight,
But body won; it walks upright.


Then he struggled with the heart;
Innocence and peace depart.


Then he struggled with the mind;
His proud heart he left behind.


Now his wars on God begin;
At stroke of midnight God shall win.

W.B. Yeats, A Full Moon in March (1935)

AS QUATRO IDADES DO HOMEM

Com seu corpo travou um duelo;
Mas o corpo venceu; anda ereto.

Então lutou com seu coração;
Paz e inocência pronto se vão.

Em seguida lutou com sua mente;
O altivo coração pôs-se ausente.

Agora a guerra com Deus começa:
Meia-noite em ponto, que Deus o vença.

(tradução e comentário:
Os vórtices e vértices de W.B. Yeates)

0 Comentários:

Postar um comentário

<< Voltar